Are you a corporate executive or manager striving to increase productivity, improve your bottom line and attract high-achieving employees? Start with investing in employee wellness, setting a personal example and encouraging employees to take the time to work out. These are just three important ways that executives can capitalize upon the benefits of exercise for themselves, their employees and ultimately their company.
Research continues to support the fact that fit employees are less likely to get sick thereby lowering health care costs. Employees who take the time to work out have more energy, exude positive attitudes at work, are typically more productive and can handle stressful situations more effectively. Since those who exercise tend to set physical goals they most likely know how to set professional goals as well and will systematically put processes in place to achieve those goals and won’t stop until they do. Finding employees who have these qualities is essential. Why not partner with your local health club like Greenwood Athletic and Tennis Club in Greenwood Village, CO to customize discounts for your employees or better yet, subsidize those memberships to encourage greater participation.
As a leader, every corporate executive should set an example that health and wellness is critical. When corporate executives provide an example to their employees, employees follow suit. Setting time aside to ensure they are fit and healthy will show that they value the same in their employees. Executives who do so will exude the personal benefits of a healthier, stronger, more energetic, positive leader; one who can handle whatever challenges come their way. This will help employees want to do the same and in doing so become the best, most productive employee they can be. Employees who miss less work, have more energy, are more productive, handle stress more effectively, and are able to set and achieve goals will ultimately benefit the company’s bottom line. Additionally, employees want to maintain balance between their personal, physical and professional lives. Wisely supporting and encouraging them to do so will reap huge benefits to everyone involved; the company, the employee and their families.
Other statistics that show how corporate executives capitalize upon the benefits of exercise are shown below. Wellness Proposals, a corporate wellness consulting company recently published the following:
- Employees who exercise regularly and lead healthy life styles incur 31% lower health care costs than employees who live sedentary, unhealthy lifestyles.
- Almost 50% of medical costs are incurred due to illnesses that can be avoided with small life-style changes.
- The typical ROI on corporate wellness investment tends to be about $4 to $5 saved for every dollar spent
- Make the investment in your company. The benefits are substantial and far outweigh the costs.
By Sheri Warren, Personal Trainer, Member Coach and Director of Sales and Retention
Speak to a variety of fitness professionals about the best way to achieve fitness results and you will get a variety of answers. Let’s face it, there are a variety of ways to improve your health and a variety of workout programs to improve your waistline. The key to actually achieving those results however is one they will all agree upon; consistency! Consistency is critical to obtaining long term, recognizable and sustainable results; results that you can see and results you can feel. So make a daily appointment with yourself to take spin class on Monday, workout with your friend on Tuesday, hike with the dog on Wednesday, meet with your trainer on Thursday and take Yoga on Friday. Doing so will do more than decrease your waistline.
Consistent exercise keeps your blood pressure and cholesterol in check, stimulates the mind, shapes and strengthens muscles, tendons and bones, leads to a general feeling of well being, has been shown to increase productivity in other areas of your life and may even help to ensure deeper relationships with the important people in your life. Consistent exercisers tend to live longer, healthier lives, deal more effectively with stressful circumstances and having a more positive outlook on life. Who wouldn’t sign up for that? Create a written plan or enlist the help of a fitness professional to write one for you, then schedule each fitness appointment in your calendar. Doing so will greatly increase the likelihood that you will stick to your plan. Relying on whether you “feel” like exercising on a daily basis never works. Feelings change but the truth that consistency is the key will remain true whether you feel like moving or not.
Sticking to a written plan that requires consistent exercise allows your body to respond appropriately and the results will follow. Seeing the physical changes and experiencing the emotional changes in overall well-being reinforces your desire to continue with the plan. So go to the club, attend that class and set an alarm for Boot Camp and watch how the wonderful habit of consistently creates the results you’ve been looking for.
By Sheri Warren, Personal Trainer, Member Coach and Retention Manager
Equip yourself for success with these ten essential tools and virtually guarantee major improvements in energy, strength, health and overall well-being. The good news is that you can find all 10 of these essential tools right here at Greenwood. And if you are not sure how to use any of the following, feel free to ask myself or one of our nationally certified personal trainers. We would be happy to help!
- Workout partner (or two!) Studies prove that those who work out with a friend or co-worker are much more likely to achieve their goals and stay consistent with their workout schedule. Call it positive peer pressure but accountability works and consistency improves the effectiveness and speed with which goals are achieved.
- Fitness App or Wearable Device One of the industry’s top fitness trends, use of a wearable fitness tracking device like a heart rate monitor, FitBit or use of a Fitness App like MyFitnessPal. Each of these tools are designed to help track the real numbers and keep you aware of exactly how hard you are working or how many calories are expended and taken in each day. The addition of Performance IQ in our spinning classes is another great fitness tool to keep you on track.
- SMART plan To achieve any goal you have to have a plan. Just like business plans, your fitness plan should be SMART too. SMART stands for Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Relevant and Time Bound. Specific – schedule specific workouts (strength day, 45 minutes of cardio, yoga class) as appointments in your calendar. Measureable – i.e., determine your current body composition and then track improvements in lean muscle mass and decreases in body fat %. Achievable – set yourself up for success by ensuring your workout plan, while essential, also fits into your life. Relevant – choose workouts that support and lead to accomplishing your overall fitness goals. Time Bound – register for a 5K or ½ marathon, determining a certain weight loss or gain by a special event or date then work backwards from there to set smaller achievable markers to track your progress by.
- Water: One of the most overlooked and easiest tools to ensure improvements in health and performance is the water bottle. Purchase a reusable one like the Greenwood water bottles available at the Service Desk and you’ll be much more apt to have it with you throughout the day. The brain consists of 90% water so when it is deprived of what it needs it does not function well, often leading to headaches, fatigue and even migraines. Proper hydration helps you think better, be more alert and more concentrated. Water supports your metabolism, transports nutrients and oxygen to cells, protects and moisturizes joints, eliminates toxins including the by-products of fat breakdown and provides more energy to your body than caffeine.
- Foam Roller: Think of this as personal massage and the best preventer of injury due to overuse and tightness that there is. Foam Rollers are located in the weight room so inquire with a personal trainer or check out YouTube to find out exactly how to use this tool to maintain healthy, flexible, pain free muscles and tendons.
- BOSU or other balance stability tools. Use of tools like the BOSU or balance discs to improve balance, strength, stability and sports performance provide just the right amount of challenge and variety to your workouts. Ask a trainer, go to the BOSU website for exercises or YouTube videos for additional guidance.
- Gliding Discs/Tubing: Perfect for those who travel or have limited space at home to workout, exercise bands, tubing and gliding discs provide you the opportunity to work every major muscle group and more.
- Positive Attitude: Whether you are someone who looks forward to their daily workouts or not, we all need a positive attitude and understanding of our personal WHY for doing this. Remember that you always feel better after you’ve completed a workout, usually even more so when you almost talked yourself out of it. No matter how you look at it, exercise is beneficial and the sacrifice of time and energy is always worth it!
- Qualified Personal Trainer: Invest in the expertise of a qualified personal trainer to ensure the time spent working out is effective, safe and specific to what you are trying to accomplish. Plus, the right personal trainer should also provide the extra motivation you need to push yourself further than you might on your own.
- Health Club Membership: Greenwood Athletic and Tennis Club is just the place for you to create a fit, healthy, strong physique. Here you’ll find every sort of small group studio environment under one roof! With over 130 complimentary classes like Yoga, Spinning, Body Pump, Insanity, strength training and Pilates equipment, programming like Indoor or Outdoor Bootcamps, sports performance and body shaping options, plus the social connections made with like-minded people are perfect for increasing your chances of success.
By Sheri Warren, Personal Trainer, Member Coach and Director of Sales and Retention